The St. Joseph Museums welcomes researchers. To make a research appointment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-232-8471.
Hours of Operation
The Research Library and Archival Center is open to researchers by appointment only.
Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m
Research Materials and General History
- American Indian History: Iowa, Sac, & Fox
Harry L. George Collection
- Jesse James
- Missouri History – St. Joseph & Area History – Western Movement: Lewis & Clark, Oregon Trail and California Trail
- Psychiatric History
- The Civil War: Missouri and Kansas
- The Pony Express
- Trappers and Traders: Robidoux Family
Nancy Hillyard Hampton Library and Archival Center
When using the Nancy Hillyard Hampton Library and Archival Center, the following rules apply:
- The hours are 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 pm. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through
Friday, by appointment only. These hours are subject to the schedule of the staff
member assisting the researcher.
- A Staff Member will be assigned to each researcher according to the area of the
Museum Collections being studied.
- All researchers must fill out an “Application for Access to Collections and Library
Materials” before beginning their research.
- Only the researcher is allowed in the research area. Family members or friends may
tour the Museums while waiting.
- Only pencils may be used in the research area – no pens or markers are allowed.
- Extremely fragile materials may not be available for research.
- If the researcher would like photocopies of material, the cost is $.15 per copy. All
copying will be done by a staff member.
- Briefcases, backpacks, and/or tote bags are not allowed in the research area.
- No knives, scissors, and/or other sharp implements are allowed in the research area.
- All books from the Reference Library will be removed and replaced by a staff member.
- All researchers must check out with the staff member before leaving the area.
If a researcher is unable to travel to St. Joseph, we will be happy to do the research for you. The first hour of research is free, then $10.00 an hour for each additional hour of
research, plus $.15 a copy for photocopies.